What Are Blood Tests?
Blood tests help doctors check for certain diseases and conditions. They also help check the function of your organs and show how well treatments are working.
Specifically, blood tests can help doctors to
- Evaluate how well organs—such as the kidneys, liver, thyroid, and heart—are working
- Diagnose diseases and conditions such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, anemia and coronary heart disease
- Find out whether you have risk factors for heart disease
- Check whether medicines you’re taking are working
- Assess how well your blood is clotting